[OpenLayers-Users] KML -Vector layer question

Andrew Wilson wilson.andrew.j at gmail.com
Sun May 3 23:53:49 EDT 2009

>From what I remember the ArcGIS Layer to KML tool renders a PNG image
for each type of point symbology and those images are put somewhere in
the directory that gets zipped up to become the .kmz file. So the .kmz
file is a zipped directory that contains the KML file along with the
symbology images. In the KML file, the styling information is
described as an Icon tag that contains an href link to the images. You
can unzip the .kmz file and extract just the KML file but if you move
that KML file, then the links to the images are broken and that might
explain why the styling is lost.

Some ways of fixing it might be:
1) Copy the images along with the kml so that the href links actually
point to the images
2) Modify the KML so that the Icon href tags point to a resolvable URI

Possible caveat: I don't know if OL supports href'd Icons outside of
the Google icon set. I've seen some old references (from about a year
and a half ago) that imply that only Google icons were supported.