[OpenLayers-Users] creating a layer based on sql queries

André Mendonça andremalms at hotmail.com
Sat May 9 08:28:34 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I am a cartography/GIS student, making a research about tools for spatial analysis in webmaps. I use Postgis/Geoserver/Openlayers.

I have two simple questions, trying to get ideas to solve these little problems:

1- I have a html form, the user selects two layers to make an intersect operation in postgis. This form generate a sql file. The question is: How can I, dinamically, display the result of this sql query in openlayers?
I think I will need a new html, but how it would be constructed to display this new layer since the user has a considerable number of possible combinations to intersect? Does someone has a piece of code to exemplify how it can be done to me?

2- The other spatial analysis tool that I am evaluating is the measure tool. I am using an openlayers measure control and it´s working fine. The user can measure a distance to answer a simple question and send the  answer to me in a html form.
My question is: How can I know if this user has used the measure tool? Just like, when he/she activate the openlayers control, a hidden value must be added to his/her form.

I´m starting with openlayers and it´s a great tool. Thank you a lot, best regards from Brazil.

André Mendonça