[OpenLayers-Users] Recommended Books re OL/OSM?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 6 02:24:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 05:35:09PM -0500, Arnie Shore wrote:
> Folks, I'm interested in any recommendations re subject matter.
>
> I'm not interested in a  GeoServer manual,  or in any of the other
> server-specific ones, cuz that's not in the plan.  That plan includes a
> simple-minded tile serving application in PHP, a fork  from a GMaps
> application.

I've never learned any programming knowledge from books, and I generally doubt
that they are the best mechanism for conveying information about anything
in this field.

However, my absolute favorite book in this field is still _Mapping Hacks_,
which (while unlikely to be relevant to any direct problems you have) is
still occasionally a handy reference for ideas on building mapping apps.

I don't think that's really what you're looking for, but I had to mention
it anyway.

I would recommend the examples, and docs.openlayers.org; other than that,
Javascript knowledge is a big plus, I guess, so if there are good books
for learning that, you can go ahead...

In the end, OL isn't (generally) all that complex; the bits that *are* complex,
I wouldn't want written in a book anyways since they're subject to change.

-- Chris