[OpenLayers-Users] Control access to WMS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 13 12:20:51 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:56:26AM -0400, Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't know where I should post this thread since it implies mapServer
> and OpenLayers.
> I defined a WMS Raster layer that I use in my OpenLayers/GeoExt apps,
>
> I would like to control the access to this WMS, so people can use it via
> my application, but can not "call" the WMS to use it in their client
> application. The reason is there is a "context" that comes with this WMS.
> Without it the data can be misinterpreted.

It sounds like what you want is user access controls. Using Apache,
it is possible to limit access to users with a username and password or
other similar functionality. Without this type of limitation, there really
isn't anything you can do to prevent other applications or users from
accessing the data directly if there really is a desire to spread the
data around.

> Maybe the solution is not using a WMS, but can OpenLayers open native
> raster data?
> Any ideas on how I can realize that?

This is not possible.

Best Regards,