[OpenLayers-Users] Linux particularities

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Oct 16 11:34:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 06:12:01PM +0300, Nicholas Efremov-Kendall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Again, does anyone have experience with developing for multiple platforms? I
> developed my site on a windows machine using xampp (php 5.3), and the site
> got migrated to a linux server (php 5.1.6). The application is breaking with
> my xmlfile, which is accepting the variable, but it's not properly
> formatting the results producing a error in the automatic centering of the
> map on my vectors. The bounds returns 'null,' but this is just because the
> xml file isn't created properly. For what reason, I don't know.
> (www.sas.upenn.edu/jerba/index.php?page=webgis). The program SHOULD load a
> bunch of archaeological sites distributed across the Island of Jerba,
> Tunisia. My other vectors are loaded fine, and this seems to be an issue of
> either the xmlwriter or the response itself.

This really isn't an OpenLayers question, so far as I can tell. A brief
glance at your app seems to indicate that you would expect:

  http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerba/php/xmlwriter.php?chronology=MAXOFH

To give a response, but it just gives a blank document. Fixing that is
likely an issue with PHP or some other server side environment piece,
and should probably be investigated somewhere off the OpenLayers mailing
list.

-- Chris

> I am at a loss to explain this, because theoretically there are no
> cross-platform conflicts (i.e. paths to dependencies) that I can identify.
> I'd be more than happy to provide my code for the app, if someone thinks
> that would help. I know there are some poor OL practices here (such as using
> jquery), but any advice and suggesting would be greatly appreciated.
>
> as before, any advice/suggestions
> --
> Nicholas Efremov-Kendall
> Fulbright Student 2009-2010, Ukraine