[OpenLayers-Users] zoomTo issue I am having

michael.dolbear at vaisala.com michael.dolbear at vaisala.com
Thu Oct 22 13:10:48 EDT 2009

Hello forum,

I am very new to open layers, so my question is hopefully obvious to
others on the forum. I am using openLayers via GWT, with the GWT open
layers library, and GeoServer on the backend.

I was trying to develop some functionality where a user could save her
current map position, and when I recreated the map viewer component on
the page I could start with the map position of this user as a
preference. One of my goals was to save their zoom level along with a
bounding box for their map center. I specifically use Map.zoomTo(int)
function, but in some cases I get a null exception:

2009-10-21 16:08:33,607 [ERROR] Uncaught exception:
com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError): element is
null fileName: http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js lineNumber:
512 stack:
("OpenLayersDiv113")@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:512
()@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:871
(6,5)@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:1278 ([object
Object])@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:1272 ([object
Object],true,(void
0))@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:1264 (null,9,[object
Object])@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:833
(null,9)@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:816
(9)@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/OpenLayers.js:852
$setMapCenter_0([object Object],[object
Object],9)@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/EFF25A1D94537E851EFC97B149E82
FBE.cache.html:20414 $setMapCenter([object
Object],"26.474735017582,60.399004250003","9")@http://localhost:8080/wx-
sample/EFF25A1D94537E851EFC97B149E82FBE.cache.html:20109
$applyUserProperties([object Object],[object
Object])@http://localhost:8080/wx-sample/EFF25A1D94537E851EFC97B149E82FB
E.cache.html:19974

In the case above, I am passing in the int of 9. I've also tried a
function that will give me a zoom level for a particular extent (the
bounding box I saved off that represents the user's center), and I get
the same error there as well.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide, Michael