[OpenLayers-Users] Line drawing for mobile browsers (non SVG)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 26 15:00:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:10:39AM -0700, billChadwick wrote:

> Perhaps I am mistaken, but the web page
>
> http://wtp2.appspot.com/mobile/mobilert.htm
>
> will draw a diagonal blue test line (press Select then Route) in Fennec on
> WinMo but not Opera 9.7 beta on WinMo (at least on my Touch HD). To be fair
> I have not tried to find out why.

I would try. :) I understand it's difficult, but I highly doubt that
Opera -- who have been supporting SVG on mobile for at least 5 years,
long before Firefox had even begun implementing it -- would have given
up on it.

It *is* possible, on the other hand, that SVG in OL doesn't work
on Opera 9.7. Which would be worth fixing.

> Has anyone got a working demo of OpenLayer vectors on Opera9.7 + WinMo ?
>
> I know this post is a year old
> http://n2.nabble.com/SVG-on-Mobile-Browsers-td1827325.html#a1827325

Almost two, and I didn't have a device to test on. I have, for the
record, used OpenLayers with minimal SVG in an Opera Mobile browser...
but to be honest, it wasn't long after that post, and it's been a *long*
time since then, both in SVG terms, and in terms of my memory :)

> I guess I was thinking of a very lowest common denominator mobile browser
> with my thoughts on a 'divs' vector renderer.

Sure, I understand that. but I also think that it might be going too
far, and making more work for yourself to do so.

-- Chris

> Bill.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta