[OpenLayers-Users] ND and Sphinx

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Mon Sep 21 13:18:25 EDT 2009

> You'll probably have the most luck asking me directly about jst :)

Didn't mean to bother you directly, but I figured somebody from the
GeoEXT crowd would chime in ;-)

> As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out about the best
> documentation tools around.  We invested a good bit of effort (a handful
> of developers donated a lot of time) into switching the OL comments to
> Natural Docs syntax.  I was interested in trying something that wasn't
> as tightly coupled to a specific HTML renderer for GeoExt.  I don't get
> the sense that there is interest in changing things documentation wise
> for OpenLayers - but if someone dropped bags of money on us to do it, it
> would be fun to research the best solution.

A solution based on Sphinx would essentially mean that the OL comments
would need to be converted from ND to reST right ?  We don't have lots
of JS files yet, but they all follow OL style, so using ND for the API
docs seemed like a natural path.  Are there docs on the GeoExt doc where
I could understand what your implementation of Sphinx involves
(directives I guess) to generate an API doc ?  If the OL body of
comments weren't so big, would you suggest converting it to reST.

For our purposes, I don't think it would be very time consuming for us
at this point to switch to reST.  I'm just wondering whether I should
bother converting the API comments to reST in the context that we'll
most probably go with Sphinx for the user doc and we'd like to use one
templating syntax for comments and doc.  The other solution is to use ND
for the users docs too, which I don't think is an option.

Thanx,

Yves

To answer Eric's previous answer, I'm after documenting JS.