[OpenLayers-Users] Basic GeoServer OpenLayers map

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Fri Apr 23 08:37:25 EDT 2010

Hello Steven,

unfortunately I have no experience with geoserver, but request URLs from
Openlayers WMS are conform to the OGC standards and if geoserver is also
conform there should'nt be a problem. A OL generated request from my
application:

http://www.gis-hosting.lu/ogc/service/osm?LAYERS=label&STYLES=,,,&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&SRS=EPSG%3A2169&BBOX=67416.666666,70311.458332975,88583.333334,81688.541667025&WIDTH=1200&HEIGHT=645

It is in the Net tab from firebug. Something like GET osm?LAYERS= ...

If you suspect the problem with geoserver you could try the WMS requests
in your browser so you can be sure that they are working. If you think
its a OL configuration problem please show your layer config code so
that we can search there ...

A OL WMS Layer example:

new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
                 'WMS',
                 'http://www.gis-hosting.lu/ogc/service/osm',
                 {
                     layers: ['base','traffic','place-label'],
                     styles: ['','','',''], format: 'image/png'
                 },
                 {
                     isBaseLayer: true,
                     singleTile: true