[OpenLayers-Users] Implementing a layer for a proprietary WMS-like service

Franz Buchinger fbuchinger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 05:10:40 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm a frontend developer and was programming a web viewer for a proprietary,
WMS-like map service.
I discovered Openlayers one month ago and I'm really fascinated by its
awesome capabilities, so I decided to integrate our map service in
OpenLayers.

Here is a short description how the map service works:

The client sends an AJAX request containing the current map bounds, the map
id and the pixel size of the map.
map=22&px=1720&py=833&left=2504400&right=2544000&top=5699500&bottom=5669500&type=0

The server responds with the generated map image (url) and the corrected
bounds:
<MapProperties>
  <mapLeft>2493227.6110444176</mapLeft>
  <mapTop>5699500</mapTop>
  <mapRight>2555172.3889555824</mapRight>
  <mapBottom>5669500</mapBottom>
  <mapType>0</mapType>
  <overviewMap>22</overviewMap>
  <url>http://localhost/cgmCache/41600065-c3d2-4934-9feb-78a32f6668c8.png
</url>
</MapProperties>

The maps are always single-tiled.

My first approach was to write a ProprietaryMapLayer, that executes the map
request and creates an ImageLayer with the result url and its bounds.
When the ImageLayer is moved, a new request is performed, the current
ImageLayer is destroyed and a new one generated. The disadvantage: there are
now 2 layers representing one map, which leads to confusion in the layer
switcher control.

I read over the code of Layer.WMS, which inherits from Layer.Grid and also
makes use of Tile.Image, but it's difficult to derive a solution from it,
since all the request/response handling is already integrated into the
layer. Furthermore, WMS simply responds with tile images, whereas I have to
deal with an xml response.

Any ideas how I could implement my layer?

kind regards,

Franz