[OpenLayers-Users] Newbie questions

Joe Public joepub1962 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 13:55:35 EST 2010

Hi Folks!!
I've be tasked with creating a demo to show the powers that be how we can
use GIS to present and analyze that data they collect.... I made the
decision the go fully open source...
I am really new to the OpenGIS world and having fun and learned a lot in a
real short time....
Now I a bit stuck.... and hopefully my questions are easy enough for someone
in this forum can answer....

A little background...
I have 3 shape files of a land mass
1. a base shape file that is just an outline of the area with no attributes
2. a shape file that shows the land mass as a set of parcels with attribute
data
3. a shape file that further divides the parcels (2nd shape file) into
smaller pieces or lots

Using postgres/postGIS, groserver and openlayer, I have been successful in
displaying the 3 shape files in my web browser...  One overlaying of the
other (base layer -> parcels layer -> lots layer)
I was able use the getfeatureinfo to show attribute data in a pop box

The problem I'm having is: when I click on the map, I get "info" for the
base layer (which is blank of course) and the other layer(s) if they are
checked....
So my question: is there a way to make it so that when I click on the map,
only info the top most layer appears in the popup box? Also, if you click on
the base layer (the other layers are un-checked) the popup box does not show
up

My other issue:

I have data that was collected on various things about the parcels and
lots... This data is stored in
tables in the database.... The only links these tables/data have with the
shape files are  the name and id variables....
Question: Is there a way to include info from the tables in the pop display
along with the getfeatureinfo information when I click on the map?

Thanks