[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with Google layers positioning after map resize

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Thu Jul 15 10:10:00 EDT 2010

Hello

I stumbled over a problem with Google layers and a map resize that looks similar to the one described here:

http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1797

The problem appears if I have a Google layer activated, then switch to another non-Google base layer, change the map size via a GUI functionality (after resize of the map DIV the map.updateSize() method is applied), and then switch back to the Google layer. The Google layer has then not been correctly updated to the new map size, it means that the layer tiles are not moved correctly. If I then use the pan tool the map tiles are very strangely moved and the map extent is completely messed up.

You can find this affect on an application here:
http://cidportal.jrc.ec.europa.eu/imagearchive/main/

resizing the map is done with the thin bars at the left/bottom of the map.

The strange thing is that I noticed this behaviour only very recently, I mean in the last days. Before, neither me nor my colleague can remember having seen this behaviour. But our code and the OpenLayers library have not changed in the meantime. I tried the same now on a test server with the new OL 2.9 but still get the same strange effects.

I don't have a clue what could have happened and causes this problem. I could only think of a change in the Google API since this is always downloaded for every new access.

Any help or hint would be very appreciated. I can provide more details if required.

Best regards
Armin