[OpenLayers-Users] Vector layer and GML size

Gundel, Aaron Aaron_Gundel at sjwater.com
Wed Jul 21 17:07:17 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I am using a vector layer to highlight certain areas on a mapping application of I've created.  Each click resets the protocol url to a new location and refreshes the layer, pulling down a new feature (in GML, from GeoServer).

I'm having a strange issue - one of those GML files being pulled down by the vector layer is very large (800K).  When I'm zoomed way into the map, the vector layer doesn't highlight - whereas the smaller areas (smaller gml files...around 70K) around it highlight without issue.  So I'm not sure what's going on - I was using the GML (deprecated) layer, but I switched over to the Vector layer and I'm seeing the same issue.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I don't think my code will be particularly helpful, but I'll include it anyway....

  Creating the layer...

            gmlLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector( "GML", {strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed()],
                protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.HTTP({
                    url: "ajax/ajaxProxy.cfm?proxyURL=http%3A%2F%2Fmywebsite.com%3A8080%2Fgeoserver%2Fwfs%3Frequest%3Dgetfeature%26service%3Dwfs%26version%3D1.0.0%26srsname%3Depsg%3A900913%26typename%3Dpg_service_area%26filter%3D%3Cogc%3AFilter%20%20xmlns%3Aogc%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fogc.org%22%3E%3Cogc%3AFeatureId%20fid%3D%22service_area.12342%22%2F%3E%3C%2Fogc%3AFilter%3E",
                    format: new OpenLayers.Format.GML()
                })
            });

Each time a click occurs, a new url is passed in.  I've verified that the URL for the large GML file returns a valid GML file.  There's nothing particularly strange about it.

    setUrl = function(url){
        gmlLayer.protocol.options.url = url;
        gmlLayer.refresh();
    };

Let me know if there's anything else that would be particularly diagnostically helpful.

Aaron