[OpenLayers-Users] How to display PostGIS data through Openlayers and JSP

George Matt georgematt99 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 16:49:41 EDT 2010

Thanks, Steve for your reply.

Ok if your are talking about a mapping server, than lets put it this way. I have
installed and configured GeoServer and using the postgis option available in it,
the layers are published. Now using WMS or WFS services, layers are requested
and shown on the map.

Some question arises:

(1) What is the benefit of using PostGIS then? Where the use of postgis can
benefit me? These layers can be easily published in the same way through shape
files and shown on the map. OR may be I misunderstood it.

(3) About searching: suppose there is a textbox on the page through which the
user can search and zoom to a specified feature. (Relating to my example,
suppose user enters the name of a road). How this can be achieved. Would the
postgis or geoserver sort this problem out?

(4) If there are multiple layers (For e.g roads, cities, train stations,
schools, etc). How can the functionality of searching through a single textbox
be implemented.

(5) How one can perform some spatial analysis and show it on the web? (e.g. A
user wants to view major roads with in 5km radius reference to his home)

I have seen question/topic related to these issues on the forum, but
unfortunately no satisfactory answer was given.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Matt