[OpenLayers-Users] map with position:absolute not displayed in ie <= 7

arno arno at renevier.net
Mon Jul 26 17:35:32 EDT 2010

Hi,
I want to have displayed on the whole page except a 2em height footer.

So, I've tried to set my css to :

#map {
    position: absolute;
    top: 0; left: 0; right: 0;
    bottom: 2em;
}

It works fine in every browser I tested except in ie6 and ie7.
For those browsers, I absolutely need to set a width and height css
properties. For example: width: 100% and height: 100%, otherwise the map does
not show at all: it stays a white area. But as height: 100% - 2em does not
exist, I can't have the behaviour I want.

What's strange is that a "normal" div (not an ol map) is correctly displayed
with { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 2em; } in ie.

What's strange also is that map images are downloaded from the tile server.

Here is an example of a map showing correctly except in ie6 and ie7:

http://renevier.net/bugs/ol_absolute.html

Do you have any clue of why this problem happens, and/or any workaround ?

regards
arno