[OpenLayers-Users] which is the best way to display a set of points coming from database?

BMcBride bmcbride at chacompanies.com
Wed Sep 1 10:01:52 EDT 2010

Hey Alberto,

I've had luck using PHP with a SELECT statement on a MySQL database to write
a KML file for use in OpenLayers.  As long as your query returns a
relatively small subset of features (<500) and your users have a snappy
connection with a decent browser, you should be OK using this method.
Fortunately you are returning point features with a single set of coordinate
pairs, as opposed to complex polygons!  A benefit of using KML is that you
can also let the user download the results in a fairly common and readily
usable GIS format without having to write any additional code.  If you are
interested I can post my MySQL -> KML PHP script.

Best of luck!

BRYAN

-----
Bryan R. McBride, GISP