[OpenLayers-Users] problem w/ WMS Layer using wrapDateLine and displaying a feature which crosses the dateline

Dennis dbenedetto at strausdigital.com
Mon Apr 18 14:11:56 EDT 2011

> Matthew writes:
>

> Hello John,
>
> I don't have an easy solution for you, but i'd like to point out that i was
> also having great difficulty with this some months ago. So much so, that i
> ended up reprojecting my entire map 90 degrees to the west (essentially
> moving the real dateline) so that nothing crossed the OpenLayers boundary
> and hence avoided using the wrapDateLine=true option. This has proved to be
> a pain since any new data needs to be manually shifted, not to mention the
> on-the-fly calculations i need to do for all vector points and longitude
> numbers which are user-facing.
>
> A simple search of this usergroup will suggest that support for maps that
> wrap at the international dateline is quite poor. A lot of other users have
> had difficulty with this too, especially when using vectors which cross the
> line or appear either side of the line - causing them to either fail, or
> display only on one side at a time.
>
> I'd be interested to know if there is any scope for further development in
> improving the support for maps (WMS/WFS/Vector) which need to cross the
> international dateline.  I feel this is the only agenda left which is
> leaving OpenLayers lagging behind it's rival tools.
>
> Best regards,
> Matt

Hello,
I have encountered a similar issue in OpenLayers where my vector feature is
being displayed on both sides of the map - and the map is zoomed out to world
view as a result. My feature is simply highlighting the islands to west of
Alaska - but that is apparently too close to the IDL?

Matt mentioned (above) being able to shift the location of the border of the
map. Does anyone know how to do this?

Any ideas or input about this are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis