[OpenLayers-Users] Large KML file, alternatives?

Nicholas Efremov-Kendall n.e.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:51:10 EDT 2011

any xml file with 4000+ features will have plenty of node bloat, which is
causing your sluggish performance. Maybe you could produce a raster version
of your shaded map dynamically, which might improve your browser
performance. Otherwise, I don't know that there's a vector format that will
substantially improve your performance, but you should probably look at some
sort of server side solution to the geoprocessing and just display it in
your OL viewer.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Yael <josip.2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> as I am quite new to the world of maps, I have a question concerning the
> problem I'm trying to solve. I've been playing around and testing the
> limits
> of the browser and OL when it comes to displaying large structures.
> I have found that displaying a KML file that is about 7mb is very sluggish.
> However, as the structures I want to display is built out of regions with
> different colors (thematic map of some 4000 regions), I haven't found any
> other option than to use KML files (as they contain the color information
> as
> well).
>
> What other options are there? What would be a more convenient and efficient
> way to display these regions?
>

> Thank you!

Dept. of Anthropology
Washington University in St. Louis