AW: [OpenLayers-Users] WMS-C/TMS and WMTS

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed Aug 3 23:00:19 EDT 2011

> What happen when you are offline - no internet connection? Would
> panning - zoom in / zoom out works with your code?
>
> I love to have offline solution for OpenLayers.

This works totally offline. My application is designed to be capable of
operating off USB (a 64GB one..).
In fact, it has 3 modes of operation. On Server, On USB but with
Internet available, On USB alone.
When internet is available, then it can use google layers (without
internet it has to use a TMS file on the USB for background), other WMS,
and it get also use script protocol to make queries against WFS but have
link in returned attribute file point to local USB files. I am using it
publish/index a lot of data which you want to take from the USB and put
into other applications. Some of this is huge so USB makes more sense
than downloading from internet. We are also considering 2TB hard drives
for distributing some really large data sets but with same OL framework
for finding them.

No internet at all poses other severe limitation though. Vector layers
need to be small - less than 500 features and search is severely
restricted in just about every way unless you are also going to do a
standalone server install on the PC.