[OpenLayers-Users] Configuring min/max extents in OL

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Aug 24 09:08:24 EDT 2011

 Hi,

 I am a bit struggling with the min/max settings for
 extent/resolution/zoomLevel whatever. There are so many (partially
 contradicting) parameters where I don't know which takes precedence.

 My setup is that I use only untiled WMS with fractionalZoom enabled (no
 fixed scales). I want to constrain the maximum zoomed in extent by
 setting the maxScale value and maximum zoomed out extent by setting the
 maxExtent. I do not want to fuss around with resolution or zoom levels,
 as I do not use tiles.

 Is there a tutorial or explanation of all the involved parameters that
 would help me and better explain what they mean and how they are
 connected with each other? From just reading the documentation at
 http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Map-js.html
 I can't figure it out.

 Thanks for any pointers,
 Andreas