[OpenLayers-Users] how to work with ArcGis basemaps

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:31:39 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM, jk <jk.chen at sdl.usu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm giving a evaluation task to find out if our map client (implemented in
> OL) can work with ArcGIS?
> So I have two questions to answer, and I want to seek inputs from this
> thread. Here you go.
>
> Two questions,
>
> 1. how to work with ArcGis basemaps? Are they WMS?
>
> 2. how to work with reqeusts with this forms, ie, tile/././.   an example
> shown here,
> http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/7/55/112
>
> 3. I saw a example link about ArcGiS cashed map. Is that the same as 1?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JK

I'm not an ArcGIS guy but I was recently faced with the same request
and I found that the OL layer type  "OpenLayers.Layer.ArcGIS93Rest"
worked flawlessly. It was very easy to switch from a MapServer source
to an ArcGIS source. It kind of reaffirmed why using OpenLayers is so
sweet.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood