[OpenLayers-Users] Questions about Filtering WFS

Diego M. oo_O2_oo at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:09:51 EST 2011

HELLO ALL

I'm working with larg database "PostGIS", Openlayers and Geoserver
also i have a lot of points over the world.
my base layer is a google layer, so i needed to transform projection to
EPSG:900913

the problem is when i load the map, the points take while befor they appear.
but when i use maxFeature:100
alittel of them appear fast

so i thought the problem is that the amount of data retrieved is too big.
now what i have to do ?

I thought about filtering the points but i faced some issues

1- how i can make sure about that the distance is in the units of  native
projection ?
2- my distance is 4250, what does it mean exactly ? and wich unit ?
3- does the property in the filter means the column ?
4- the point is the center of the map and the distance is the raduce, right
?

my code :
*var point =  new OpenLayers.Geometry.Point(50, 29)
point.transform(new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"), new
OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:900913"));

var wfslayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("WFS", {
   strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.BBOX()],
   protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
             url:  "http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wfs",
             featureType: "ships",
             featureNS: "http://www.medford.org/",
             srsName: "EPSG:900913",
             version: "1.1.0"
             }),
filter:  new OpenLayers.Filter.Spatial({
           type: OpenLayers.Filter.Spatial.DWITHIN,
           property: "positions",
           value: point,
               distance : 4250
               })