[OpenLayers-Users] rotation angle and orthogonal line drawing

Mika Lehtonen mika at digikartta.net
Wed Dec 14 15:35:58 EST 2011

Hi,
I have two separate issues. If anyone can give me any advice on them, I
will be very grateful. I have to admit that I haven't been drilling into
these very deeply by myself yet. I am just looking for some ideas to
start with.

First, I have square polygons and modifyFeatures control to drag and
rotate them. What is the simplest way to get the rotation angle counted
from the initial position after rotate? Actually the squares are
orthogonal against the xy-axis at the start, but they can be rotated
several times and the absolute (rotation against the very starting
position) rotation will be passed to server after every rotation. So
should I just observe the vertex which was aligned with the e.g. x-axis
at the start and count its rotation angle or is there any
functions/attributes already to use?

Second issue. I have a floor plan. I would like to draw some lines
orthogonally on top of it. In other words, I would like to lock the
drawing direction for example to north, west, south and to east only.
This is familiar feature to all who has been using any CAD software. If
there is no such feature in OL, could someone give me starting point to
design such.
One chewing-gum-solution would be using gridlayer and snap control,
right? With the proper grid spacing, it might work, you know like
drawing onto grid paper.

I am not looking for ready made solutions, just creative ideas to
achieve the solutions for my problems. I am also willing to drill into
OL-code, if some minor development would resolve my needs. maybe someone
else is also looking for something similar?

cheers,
- mika -