[OpenLayers-Users] Placing vector points

Kim Kuylen linuxtuxie1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:49:53 EST 2011

Hi all,

I have an existing database with a large number of data points which I
would like to make visible on the globe.

The data points represent locations (building/floor/room) within a building.

These data points are currently stored in a postgresql database. I am
going to add the postgis stuff to this database and use geoserver /
openlayers / google to make it visible.

Now in the beginning the geometry field will be empty for all those data
points...and here comes my question:

What do you think will be a good approach to place these points in their
correct location?

  - because I roughly know in which room each data point is, I could
give all the data points in the same room the geometry of the room, but
then I will have a huge overlap of data points and it will be difficult
to untangle them I suspect

- The same idea as above, but maybe use an algorithm to spread the data
points around a center point?

- Would it be possible to use 2 maps? One which nicely represents the
actual position on the globe, and another map which just shows all my
data points and then I can drag/drop between the 2 maps

  - Just use a table next to the map which represents all the data
points which do not have a geometry yet, once selected in the table, a
vector will be drawn on the map which you can reposition in its correct
location

  - ...

anyone got some experience with this or has some other ideas/suggestions?

Kim