[OpenLayers-Users] Re: Save Data, Multiple User access at same Time

Nicholas Efremov-Kendall n.e.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 08:35:55 EDT 2011

Yeah, you're going to need to get it to work in atomic time was well to
simultaneously update the positions your describing. So, this is probably
going to recall some sort of ajax function tied to each client spitting the
position data into a server-side script and spitting the updated position
data back into the map. My guess is some sort of event listener on the
feature the user is positioning, and then on the back-end a multi-user
transactional database which stores and updates all the positions on the
map...

So client-side you need your user interaction with the feature, you should
look into the various controls OL has which let you interact with features
in the map, and will probably get some of the functionality you want. The
ajax function here will have to update the server with the user's position
in order to be able to give that data to other users.

I have no idea how you'd implement this on the server, but you're going to
have to have each user be able to modify some sort of spatial database with
each user logged into your application. So that's another piece you'll need,
some sort of server-side login mechanism, which gives users access to modify
the table/dataset of users and positions.

Updating that database is going have to happen pretty often, so you'll need
something transactional and probably some sort of complicated SQL...good
luck!