[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with maximum URL length

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jun 10 03:01:13 EDT 2011

 Hi again,

 Parts of the problem is that the long list of layers is repeated: once
 in the LAYERS parameter and once in the QUERY_LAYERS parameter. That way
 one can easily hit the limitation if one has a list of layers with long
 names.

 So the solution seems to be to use a POST instead of a GET request. But
 I think we will have to patch OpenLayers to use POST instead of GET. I
 see that the OpenLayers.Request object would support POST requests, so
 we'd have to patch the OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo to expose an
 additionals request method parameter (GET|POST) and forward it to the
 OpenLayers.Request object.

 I already asked the programmer of my WMS server if he can support the
 POST requests and it seems they can with a little extra work.

 I am bit suprised that I seem to be one of the few people hitting this
 limitation.

 I will write a feature request in the OpenLayers trac and provide a
 patch.

 Andreas

 On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:18:38 +0000, JK Chen wrote:
> IE cutting URL to less than 2048 is a known limitation of IE. I'm not
> sure how to relax the constraints. But I guess there will be ways.
>
> Regards
>
> JK

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A