[OpenLayers-Users] RE: mytopo layer for USGS topo insead of terraservice?

geoffff osgeo at 8pup.net
Thu Jun 23 19:28:09 EDT 2011

Hi Jennifer -

You've got Geoff here, not Bryan - but let me try to help.

Well, the Mytopo server doesn't seem to be working for me either right
now - I get blank tiles right now, even with Mytopo's own website
http://www.mytopo.com/maps/

It was working when I tried it a few days ago.

Once the Mytopo website is back up again, if you are still getting blank
tiles, the next thing to look for is to make sure your tile requests
(the ones getting generated by your Javascript code) look correct.  What
I did is to use a web header sniffer like the "Live HTTP headers"
Firefox plug-in, to make sure the tile requests my code was making
matched those of mytopo.com and its customers - when looking at the same
lat/lon location.

This is an example tile request:

http://maps.mytopo.com/digital-topo/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topoG/12/714/2578
.png

http://maps.mytopo.com/
<http://maps.mytopo.com/digital-topo/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topoG/12/714/257
8.png> <your_api_key>/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topoG/12/714/2578.png

Otherwise, I'm not really an expert on Openlayers.  I switched to the
Google maps API soon after making my posting below.

-- Geoff