[OpenLayers-Users] Adding querystring parameter containing current map resolution

srweal srweal at gmail.com
Wed May 4 08:03:02 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm using a BBOX strategy to retrieve features from my server via a HTTP
protocol. When I set up the layer, I define the url as 'GetFeatures.aspx'
and this makes a call to my server that looks something like this:

http://localhost/App/GetFeatures.aspx?bbox=146.64,-36.21,146.95,-35.95

This is fine and I can then have server-side code that just retrieves the
appropriate features from my database and send them back. However, I'd like
to do some clustering or simplification of the features getting sent back,
based on the current map resolution (or zoom level). Therefore, I'd like the
request to be more like this:

http://localhost/App/GetFeatures.aspx?bbox=146.64,-36.21,146.95,-35.95&res=500

In this case, the value 500 would be the value of map.getResolution() at the
time of the request.

I can control when the features get refreshed by using a BBOX strategy and
tinkering with the resFactor option, but haven't figured out how to get the
resolution sent across with each request.

Can someone help me? If this isn't possible with the standard OL setup,
please give me a pointer to  which class I need to modify to add this
functionality in.

Thanks, Steve