[OpenLayers-Users] iPad popups go away on any touch

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Fri May 6 01:17:44 EDT 2011

On Friday, May 6, 2011, papley <pga at enflight.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We have been very happy with the new touch extensions, and they mostly work
> very well!
>
> We noticed one issue on iPad:
>
> On a non-touch browser, you can click on the interior of a popup
> (AnchoredBubbles or FramedClouds) where there might be links or text that
> you want to select.  On the iPad, tapping anywhere (inside or outside the
> popup) causes the popup to go away suddenly as though you'd touched the
> close box.
>
> As far as we can tell, with AnchoredBubbles (but not FramedClouds), when you
> touch on it and hold (so there is only a mousedown) the popup does not go
> away immediately. If you touch and hold a link, the link is highlighted. But
> as soon as you let go, the whole popup goes away.  The same thing happens in
> the IOS simulator.
>
> We're unfamiliar enough with the event model that we hesitate to log an
> official bug report. Perhaps we're doing something wrong. Is anyone else
> seeing this?  Any suggestions as to what we might do differently?
>
> We're using trunk version 11888, IOS v4.3.2.

Hi.

We haven't tested the OpenLayers Popups on touch devices. Maybe others
have but I'm not aware of it.

FWIW, here at Camptocamp we display feature info in another "page"
than the one containing the map, because the latter is often too small
to include both the map and a readable info window/popup. We've also
been relying on UI toolkits, such as jQuery Mobile or Sencha Touch,
for displaying feature information.

Going back to your problem: yes, you can create a trac ticket to
report the bug. But it may take some time before someone gets a chance
to submit and commit a patch for that. A ticket *with* a patch would
be a lot better. Also note that patches with tests and a usage example
are most likely to receive attention.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine