[OpenLayers-Users] Re: WFS layer from Mapserver not displaying

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Fri May 13 11:54:25 EDT 2011

Hi Toni,

   Thanks for the inputs.

=== tips and tricks, performance, etc ===

   1) WFS-T feature editing requires a certain degree of precision.  It
is not really relevant to do so in smallscales.  So, you could setup
your vector layer to be visible and editing widgets to be usable only at
certain zoom levels.  That way, you would display less features, thus
making the application faster.

   2) On smaller scales, you could show a WMS version of this layer
instead (non editable, but at least shows something to the user).

   3) Also, you can read your features from TinyOWS in JSON instead of
GML.  That makes the requests go faster.

   4) Read the server tuning wiki page from TinyOWS.
http://www.tinyows.org/trac/wiki/ServerTuning

=== demos ===

   Here's a bunch of old and recent demos that could help you create
what you want :

   a) WFS-T demo using OpenLayers only and TinyOWS.  This demo is old
and use old customized versions of OpenLayers and TinyOWS.  At least, it
demonstrates 1) and 2) above.
http://dev4.mapgears.com/bdga/bdgaWFS-T.html

   b) WFS-T demo from TinyOWS website using OpenLayers and TinyOWS.
Much more "up-to-date" that previous one.  Demonstrates the 3) above.
http://tinyows.org/tracdocs/demo/OpenLayers-2.9/examples/tinyows_wfs-t.html
http://tinyows.org/trac/wiki/OpenLayersHowToTransactional

   c) FeatureEditorGrid from GeoExt.ux.  This widget allows the editing
of vector features using GeoExt and Ext libraries.  It can be adapted to
WFS-T.
http://trac.geoext.org/wiki/ux/FeatureEditing
http://dev.geoext.org/ux/geoext.ux/ux/FeatureEditing/examples/feature-editor-grid.html

=== WFSTFeatureEditing ux ===

   I'm currently working on a GeoExt.ux tool that automatically creates
every components required to do WSF-T.  I have a wiki page, demo and
some doc.  It's all non-official (still in development) and not in
GeoExt.ux (yet ?) but you can take a look.  I'd suggest that you read
the wiki, then the sample documentation to know how the widget works.

   Basically, it uses the FeatureEditorGrid (mentioned in c) ) and
doesn't show anything on load.  You need to draw boxes in order to make
the vector features appear, thus making the navigation faster and only
shows what the user wants to edit.

http://trac.geoext.org/wiki/ux/WFSTFeatureEditing
http://dev8.mapgears.com/geoext/mg-sandbox-dev/geoext.ux/ux/WFSTFeatureEditing/examples/WFSTFeatureEditing.html

   Don't hesitate to give comments, suggestions, etc.

Kind regards,

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé