[OpenLayers-Users] WFS layer data extent and loading strategies

Trond Michelsen trondmm-openlayers at crusaders.no
Wed May 18 06:23:19 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 09:21:46AM +0200, François Van Der Biest wrote:
> Hi Sevastien,
> 2011/5/18 Favre, Sebastien <Sebastien.Favre at spotimage.fr>:
>> In fact, I need to know the full data extent of a WFS layer even if
>> the displayed map area contains no feature of it.  I have tried to
>> use the WFSCapabilities objet to get the information but there is
>> no mapping of fields WGS84BoundingBox, LowerCorner and UpperCorner
>> which could be helpful.
> It would be great if you could provide a patch to
> OpenLayers.Format.WFSCapabilities to parse those fields.

I don't mind creating a patch to add this, but it's not quite as
straight forward as one might think.

First of all, the element changed name from v1.0.0 to v1.1.0 from
LatLongBoundingBox to WGS84BoundingBox. Should the OpenLayers
WFSCapabilities object have a single parameter for both versions, or
should the object have a parameter named latlongboundingbox or
wgs84boundingbox depending on the version of the capabilities
document?

Second, a WFS Feature may have multiple boundingboxes to indicate
where clusters of data are. The object should of course keep all
boundingboxes, but should there maybe be a method to add the full
boundingbox for all of the data as well?

--
Trond Michelsen