[OpenLayers-Users] Updating Data: Comet, Push, or What?

Arnie Shore ashore3 at verizon.net
Fri May 20 10:52:13 EDT 2011

I'll certainly defer to others who've done measurements here, but from
some experience with our open source computer-aided-dispatch application:

WRT " ... It seems that the "long polling" method or, worse, looped
queries, can lead to server overload ... ."  I expect here that the
culprit is in implementers trying to minimize latency by using an
excessively short cycle period, which results in hammering the server.

Riding to rescue is WebSockets - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebSockets
-  which supports server push, and for which many of us wait in eager
anticipation.  It's a nice solution to the general problem of http in a
real-time environment.

At this writing, the protocol spec is fairly far along but
implementation is uneven.  I'll guess that it might be widely available
in the latest browsers later this year.

Pending that availability, consider conventional solutions like those
you've named, but with a reasonable cycle time.  And live with the
latency.  (AS fast as these boats are, they remain sailboats!)

AS