[OpenLayers-Users] Re: Updating Data: Comet, Push, or What?

Michael mdm at yachtpc.com
Sun May 22 09:37:18 EDT 2011

I have not done any measurements.

The advice on server load is entirely based on commentary on various
websites.  I suppose, as I set this thing up, a test is a good idea.

The likely use case here is that there will be a few thousand users at
any one time who will need updates every five minutes or so.  According
to what I have read, if I use a technique that holds a normal Apache
server connection open for each of those connections it will bog the
server down badly.

In fact, for the basic data upload, I am using the techniques you
describe.  This is a matter of good design when more than one visitor is
expected!  The concern I have is multiple long-polling AJAX calls.

Research continues....

MM