[OpenLayers-Users] Greetings

Marc Jansen jansen at terrestris.de
Tue May 24 06:46:09 EDT 2011

On 24.05.2011 11:31, Budschedl Harald wrote:

> Hi there

Hi Harry,

> I am new to the mailinglist and wanted to shout a quick "Hello world"
> into the room J

welcome to the mailinglist :-)

> I am currently working forthe IKT Linz Gmbh, a company which provides
> IT services for the Magistrate and the Companies of the City of Linz.
> We started with GIS Systems as early as 1987 and I am in that field of
> work since 1991.
>

> Lately I had more and more "brushes" with the OpenLayers theme and
> became interested. I am not much of a programmer anymore (I released
> my last real program about 10 years ago), but did recently start to
> sniff into JavaScript a bit... ;)
>
> I also was at the last FOSSGIS in Germany, where I had the opportunity
> to attend an ol-workshop, which was very good but too short...
>
>  ATM I am fiddling around with an OpenLayers page that displays our
> data and just cracking my head on an "Adress Search"-function that
> utilizes a selfmade Webservice (which deliveres GeoJSON) using AJAX.I
> just have to find out how to cram the contents of my JSON Object into
> the options of my selectbox -- if possible without having to dig into
> things like jquery... I like the "K.I.S.S" motto and really want to
> keep it simple and stupid.

You could iterate over the GeoJSON-object and do sth. like:

var s = document.createElement('select');
s.id='sel';
var o1 = document.createElement('option')
var o2 = document.createElement('option')
o1.text = "Opt 1";
o2.text = "Opt 2";
s.appendChild(o1);
s.appendChild(o2);
document.body.appendChild(s); // untested

but any of the JavaScript-libraries out there will make this task easier
and more-likely to work cross-browser.

Regards,
Marc