[OpenLayers-Users] Openlayers version and which SVN repository

Stricker, Scott (IS) scott.stricker at ngc.com
Thu Nov 10 09:53:02 EST 2011

I had been fetching from the http://svn.openlayers.org/trunk/openlayers openlayers repository until a couple of weeks ago.  It was typically updated almost every day.  Then it stopped being updated.  I thought because 2.11 was available in another repository and the previously listed repository was only for 2.10.

After some digging, I found that I could get 2.11 from http://svn.github.com/openlayers/openlayers/.  It seemed like there were comments about this being mirrored in the repository listed in the first paragraph.

Today, I had an issue with TortoiseSVN so deleted my 2.11 folder and refetched.  Thought I'd see what would happen, that is if I had SVN issues with my 2.10 folder, and did an update on my 2.10 folder.  Much to my surprise got lots of updates.  Comparing this with my 2.10 folder shows differences which indicate a different version?

My questions are, which SVN repository should I point to for latest 'good' openlayers version and how do I know which version I've got?

To try to answer the above, from http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/HowToDownload, the github reference points to the latest 2.11 code.  From what I've seen prior to today, this sounds correct.  The comment is also made that the url in the first para mirrors the github repository.  If this were true, I'd hope that if I did a checkout from each, there would be no differences between the two and this is not the case as of this email.  Github update shows revision 4922 and svn update shows revision 12436 and there are diffs in files as well.

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on these questions.

E. Scott Stricker