[OpenLayers-Users] Openlayers version and which SVN repository

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Thu Nov 10 12:17:33 EST 2011

On Thursday, November 10, 2011, Stricker, Scott (IS) <scott.stricker at ngc.com>
wrote:
> I had been fetching from the http://svn.openlayers.org/trunk/openlayersopenlayers repository until a couple of weeks ago.  It was typically
updated almost every day.  Then it stopped being updated.  I thought
because 2.11 was available in another repository and the previously listed
repository was only for 2.10.

No. trunk was where 2.11 was developed. A few days or weeks after 2.11 we
was released we moved our main development to github, and stopped updating
SVN trunk. We wanted that SVN trunk be automatically mirrored from github,
but we failed to create a solid procedure for that.

> After some digging, I found that I could get 2.11 from
http://svn.github.com/openlayers/openlayers/.

Not 2.11, the development branch.

> It seemed like there were comments about this being mirrored in the
repository listed in the first paragraph.

Yes. But to my knowledge we did not manage to create a solid automated
mirroring procedure.

> Today, I had an issue with TortoiseSVN so deleted my 2.11 folder and
refetched.  Thought I'd see what would happen, that is if I had SVN issues
with my 2.10 folder, and did an update on my 2.10 folder.  Much to my
surprise got lots of updates.

Andreas Hocevar manually updated SVN trunk last week.

> Comparing this with my 2.10 folder shows differences which indicate a
different version?

> My questions are, which SVN repository should I point to for latest
'good' openlayers version and how do I know which version I've got?

What do you mean by "good"? Do you want the latest stable version, or the
current development branch?

> To try to answer the above, from
http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/HowToDownload, the github reference
points to the latest 2.11 code.

No. It is the development branch, i.e. where the next version (2.12) is
being developed.

> From what I've seen prior to today, this sounds correct.  The comment is
also made that the url in the first para mirrors the github repository.  If
this were true, I'd hope that if I did a checkout from each, there would be
no differences between the two and this is not the case as of this email.
> Github update shows revision 4922 and svn update shows revision 12436 and
there are diffs in files as well.

That's expected. github assigns its own revision numbers.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352