[OpenLayers-Users] Using setLayerIndex with a TMS Layer does not seem to work

Matt Davis matt.w.davis at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 21 13:13:51 EST 2011

Hi List,

I'm hoping someone here can help me to see the error in my code. I am part
of a project building a highly interactive weather monitoring system. As
such, we are using OpenLayers 2.11 as our choice of map engine.

I have 11 layers of radar imagery. Each layer is a different time step. In
order to manage the layering in our application, I need these layers to
always be indices 20 to 30. They are served from a tile mapping server and
created like:

var radar = new OpenLayers.Layer.TMS(thisClass.radarTimes.getItem(i),
thisClass.ridge,
                                {
                            layername : thisClass.radarTimes.getItem(i),
                            type: 'png',
                            isBaseLayer: false,
                            getURL: radar_url,
                            mapType: "radar",
                            frameTime: new
Date(thisClass.realTimes.getItem(i) * 1000),
                            displayInLayerSwitcher: true,
                            opacity: thisClass.getOpacity()
                                });

This all works fine. I have all layers loaded. However, immediately after
that, I attempt:

thisClass.map.addLayer(radar);
thisClass.map.setLayerIndex(radar, startIndex);

Where this is inside a loop with start index of 20...21...etc.

If I log the actual indices, I can see that the layer is never changing.
for instance:
console.log(startIndex);  (Will be as expected: 20)
console.log(thisClass.map.getLayerIndex(radar)); (Will be arbitrary: 4)

If I jump through some hoops to get it accessible through firebug,
Attempting the setLayerIndex results in

TypeError: layer.setZIndex is not a function
+zIdx*5);},resetLayersZIndex:function(...ers.Console.warn(msg);return
false;}}

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Matt