[OpenLayers-Users] Limit number of properties returned - WFS

HughBarker Hugh.Barker at csiro.au
Tue Oct 4 02:05:56 EDT 2011

I'm querying a WFS service (from Geoserver). The problem is, the dataset is
very large, and most of it is irrelevant to what I'm doing in OpenLayers. In
this context I'm only interested in retrieving the points from the server,
not the 100+ additional properties.

I can construct a URL by hand to get what I want - every point, but only the
position - like this:

http://ubuntu-geospatial-server:8080/geoserver/wfs?service=wfs&version=1.1.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=underway:ss2011_v03&propertyName=position

However I haven't been able to work out the equivalent in OpenLayers.
Filters will let me get, say, all the points in a certain period, but it
will still return the full dataset, which is causing performance problems.

I've looked through the API, mailing lists and Google, and I haven't been
able to find any answers. Any help is much appreciated.