[OpenLayers-Users] How many layers can I use with "OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo"

Matt Priour mpriour at kestrelcomputer.com
Mon Dec 10 14:32:20 PST 2012

On 12/10/2012 3:24 PM, Karina Guardado wrote:
> Thank you for the idea, you know the point is that I need to have
> diferent queries to visualize just a certain area and give a different
> color to the municipalities that belong to that area so I nee
> different layers for that but I see that the main problem is  when I
> have  the tree to select the layer if I locate one layer in the last
> position I have problems with the popup but when I locate the same
> layer in the first positions I have no problems.
>
> So I found that the problem is more related with the amount of layers
> I'm using even when I use just a few ones in the WMSGetFeatureInfo to
> retrieve information. People in other emails say that is related with
> the browser limitation and I think that I should probably use mainly a
> Post and not a Get metho but have no idea about how to do that, does
> it mean no to use WMSGetFeatureInfo ?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> best regards
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Phil Scadden <p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
> <mailto:p.scadden at gns.cri.nz>> wrote:
>
>     I am not familiar with Mapserver at all, however it looks to me like
>     each of your layers are in fact queries (EXPRESSION(etc)) on some
>     deeper
>     baselayer. ( agisdependencias) Could you serve the baselayer (but not
>     display it) and do the WMSGetFeatureInfo just against this single
>     layer?
>
>     Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential. If
>     received in error please destroy and immediately notify us. Do not
>     copy or disclose the contents.

> M.Sc. Karina Guardado
> Celular: (503) 7115 2898

The popup hiding issue is a z-Index problem. When you get lots of layers
in your map, it is possible that they have a higher z-Index than the
default z-Index value of the popup.
The best way to fix this (besides using less layers) is to do this:

OpenLayers.Map.Z_INDEX_BASE.Popup = 900;

somewhere in your application, before any popups are created.

Matt Priour
Kestrel Computer Consulting