[OpenLayers-Users] WMS requests executed twice

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Mon Feb 6 12:19:50 EST 2012

Hi,

this was a big change
(https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/commit/23c909220159134d270064bc4c89440c59c22d20)
which fixed a lot of things. In your case in particular, we now don't
create a new IMG element for the backbuffer, but keep the existing
image, and instead we create a new IMG element for the next tile (i.e.
the new extent for single tile layers). For tiles without a cache
header (which might get stripped by a proxy), the old behavior meant
that the tile is re-requested for the backbuffer.

Andreas.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jan Hartmann <j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl> wrote:
> Yes, it *was* that issue: with the development version of OpenLayers layers
> are always retrieved just once. Thanks Andreas. Just curiosity, can you give
> me a pointer to what the problem was?
>
> BTW, I don't get all messages from the OpenLayers Users list in my mailbox.
> Had to look up your answers in the archive.
>
> Jan

> Andreas Hocevar wrote on Mon, 6 Feb 2012 04:01:51 EST 2012
>
> Hi, just to clarify, the issue you are seeing (if it's the issue I think it
> is) was fixed *after* 2.11. Andreas.
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> No, I use OpenLayers 2.11. I see now that it has something to do with my
> proxy. All maps are on webservers in an internal network and are accessed
> via one proxy.When I run the page on the local server, maps are retrieved
> only once. When I access that same server from the outside, via the proxy,
> all maps are retrieved twice.
>
> Although this is probably not an OpenLayers problem, I would be gratefule
> for suggestions. It took me quite some time to get the proxy configuration
> running. It works now, but takes twice as much time as needed.
>
> Jan

> Andreas Hocevar wrote on Mon, 23 Jan 2012 04:58:20 -0800: This might be due
> to a bug that has been fixed quite some time ago already. Which version of
> OpenLayers are you using? Andreas.
> On 01/21/2012 09:27 PM, Jan Hartmann wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I made a very simple OpenLayers test site, displaying a simple local
> MapServer map as an untiled WMS service. Works fine, but when I look in the
> server log, each OpenLayer GetMap request results in *two* identical
> requests to the server. Can anyone confirm this, and why does it happen?
>
> Jan Hartmann
> Amsterdam

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/