[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers polygon fill on IE has black shading after setting opacity

Vadim Bokin vbokin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:42:40 EST 2012

I apologize up front, but this is a cross-post from gis.stackexchange.  I
asked the question there, w/o much response, so I think this may be an OL
bug rather than a "how do I use it" question.  I'm going to duplicate the
post here and also available at
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/18677/openlayers-polygon-fill-on-ie-has-black-shading

----

I have an odd problem on with OpenLayers on IE6, IE7 and IE8.  A newly drawn
polygon has odd black shading.  In fact, even the line (stroke) has the same
black outline.

Works great in Firefox, Chrome, Safari and even IE9.

I've tried everything from creating my own stylemap and symbolizers, to
removing all styles and using default layer, and it still has a problem.

And to add to the puzzle, if you draw a second feature and intersect with
the first, the intersected area has *perfect* colorization/rendering.

I've tried changing the basic style to have a different color (say blue) but
then the color is again the base blue plus the black shading/fill attached
to it.

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n7177631/Uk1KH.png

Have run the basic drawing example,
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/draw-feature.html and it works just
fine on all browsers.

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n7177631/w5HLA.png

---

Edit 1/10 5p PST

I was finally able to create a stripped-down sample that reproduce the
error.

I wrote a page that accepts a URL param to enable the bug, and it'll be
broken in IE8,7,and 6.  All you have to do is draw a polygon, and you'll see
that it comes out black

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47684/nc4/debug/RenderTest.html?break=1

And here's the source:

As you can see, just setting the layer OPACITY will break it. And this
actually breaks on IE6 and 7. It works on 8, but I have compatibility mode
set to 7, so yes that makes it break on 8.

Why setting opacity is breaking?  I've traced the code down to `Util.js` and
the `modifyDOMElement` function, and it *looks* to be ok.  But... ?

Thank you.

-Vadim