[OpenLayers-Users] How to test if a point is within WMS layer?

maw269 maw269 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 13:30:59 EST 2012

I have a multipolygon layer in GeoServer that I can show as a WMS in
OpenLayers. I want to geocode a location and place a marker on the map (got
this working) and determine if that marker is inside or outside the
multipolygon layer.

I thought I could use WFS to get all the features of the polygon layer then
use OpenLayers.Format.GML.parseGeometry.multipolygon to turn it into a
polygon object in OL. Then I could use
OpenLayers.Geometry.Polygon.containsPoint to test if the point is within the
polygon. First Question: is this logic sound?

The next issue is that I can't get the WFS for this layer to work. It hangs
my GeoServer when I request it. I guess the layer is too big? Does anyone
know how I could use OpenLayers to display the layer as a WMS but query on
the back end (GeoServer) if my 'point' is within the layer?
Thanks,
Matt