[OpenLayers-Users] Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: OpenLayers 2.12 RC1!

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Mar 28 12:30:13 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, March 28, 2012, Greg Allensworth <gregor at greeninfo.org> wrote:
> Thanks so much, Eric, for passing that on. How very exciting!
>
> Can anyone clarify a few of the items, to really stir up the excitement
over here? :)

>> CSS-based tile animation
>
> Is this some new alternatives to transitionEffect:'resize' ? Maybe a
transitionEffect:'fadein' like Bing and Google do?

transitionEffect:resize and tile animation can be together.

transitionEffect:resize scales the "old" images while new ones are loading.

The tile animation stuff is a fade-in effect when the images are displayed.

>> continuous zooming
>
> I thought this was in 2.11 ?

In 2.11 and 2.10 (and maybe before) you can have continuous zooming on
non-tiled layers. With 2.12 any layer inheriting from Layer.Grid is
supported.

> Or is it now supported for some commercial layers like Google?

Bing is supported (Bing is a subclass of Grid). Google is not.

>> tile offline storage
>
> Oh, interesting. Any demos or explanation of this? I've never tried it,
but assumed that one could use file:// URLs to read TMS tiles from local
disk. Is this something more extensive?

Look at the cache-read and cache-write examples. Search "storage" on <
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/>.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS