[OpenLayers-Users] World user map

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Mon May 14 22:07:33 PDT 2012

Hi Paul,

For such a relatively simple map I would probably not even use a WxS, just
a geojson file of a simple world map and javascript to read the attributes
of how many visitors per country. You could probably use OpenLayers for
that (which I did not try myself), but other solutions too, see e.g the
example of a simple thematic maps made with the D3 library at
http://kartoweb.itc.nl/kobben/test/buurten.html

BTW, you should of course not use a map where you color countries if a
person comes from there (a so-called choropleth or chorochromatic map).
That would greatly misdirect the user into thinking many people come from
e.g. Russia, because he sees a huge red polygon, while none seem to come
from Luxemburg (which he won't see at al at that scale). In reality maybe
20 are from Luxemburg and only 1 from Russia. Better use proportional
point symbols per country, see ge, the map "AANT_INW" in the example
mentioned above...

Barend

--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,

On 14-05-12 22:34, "Paul Meems" <bontepaarden at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm working on a kind of user map.
>It should be a map with all the countries of the world and the countries
>are colored if someone from that country is coming to the Open Source GIS
>conference.
>I also need a label with the name of the country and the number of people.
>
>I have some experience with OL together with GeoServer and PostGIS, but
>for this web page I can't use that.
>
>I think I need a WFS server that has the countries of the world and then
>use a GML file with my data to create the labels and color the countries,
>am I right?
>
>I'm already stuck at the first step. Is a public WFS server available
>that I can use to do this?
>
>I've already made a static image of what I want, but I would rather use
>OL.
>Can anybody advise me on this?
>
>Here are my static images:
>http://www.mapwindow.org/conference/2012/participants.php
><http://www.mapwindow.org/conference/2012/participants.php>
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul
>--
>Project manager Open Source GIS Conference 2012

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.