[OpenLayers-Users] Google base maps misbehaving, blank tiles, not centered

crb chris at windsorsolutions.com
Tue May 15 10:02:58 PDT 2012

I have an app that embeds two OL maps in different jQuery tabs on the same
ASPX page.  I'm using OL v2.11.  When I use OpenLayers.Layer.Bing base
layers (getting tiles direct, no Bing API) the maps render fine: it properly
zooms to the predefined initial extent at the correct scale and renders all
tiles.  But when I use OpenLayers.Layer.Google base layers (using API at
http://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?v=3.5) then things don't work so well:
the first map renders with blank tiles and out-of-center (see image below)
until I actually drag on it, which snaps it back into place.

http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4974823/gm1.png

The second map is a map of search results, so it overlays markers on top of
GMaps base layers, but this map never renders properly:  only the tile in
the upper-left corner ever renders, and the rest of the map remains gray
tiles (see image below).

http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4974823/gm2.png

The app uses the exact same class for the map that another app is using, and
that application does not have the same problem even when using GoogleMaps.
But the other app has a single map on the ASPX page and does not have nearly
the same jQuery UI stuff going on.

There's a lot of code behind all this and I can certainly provide it if
necessary, but the purpose of this initial post is to see if there are known
issues rendering Google V3 base layers, particularly when the map is not the
only thing in the browser viewport and shares it with other known JavaScript
libraries, i.e. jQuery.