[OpenLayers-Users] Unable to overlay a simple WFS

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon May 21 14:12:13 PDT 2012

> I thought now I will be able to open the WFS, but I am still getting
> the error. I felt that I should use CORS but I am not sure how I
> should configure it. I am using the following tutorial
> <http://www.gistutor.com/geoserver/21-intermediate-geoserver-tutorials/38-configuring-geoserver-proxy-for-public-and-remote-data-access.html>.
> It tells me that once I was able to configure tomcat and apache,
> I should configure the proxy.
Tutorial pretty much describes how our production server is setup except
that using jsp instead of cgi.  The jsp means avoiding the apache issues.

However, since you have written a suitable proxy.cgi, then you may as
well go with it.

> I am not sure now, should I go with CORS or with proxy. One of the
> forums said the proxy is a decade old technology and I should go with
> CORS. Also the configuration in the tutorial link is for RedHat or rpm
> based Linux. I am on Ubuntu and so the cgi-bin folder in /var/www is
> not present in Ubuntu.
No, sorry. My apache 2.2 has cgi-bin at same level as the bin directory
and even includes a blind proxy proxy.cgi that you could hack for your
purposes.
--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232