[OpenLayers-Users] Pink broken images

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Thu May 24 13:44:07 PDT 2012

As I understand it, geoserver reprojects vector layers on the fly, to
the requested projection. OpenLayers sets that projection to be the
projection of the designated base layer. However, I do not think that
geoserver can reproject raster data on the fly and I would question the
wisdom of doing so even if it could.
Reprojecting raster data is an operation fraught with difficulties and
it is almost always better to return to base data from which the raster
was based and create a new raster. This does of course create issues for
creating transparent overlays on google maps. I do this by creating
900913 versions of the raster data and putting those on geoserver
instead. If you change baselayer from say google to a different one with
a different projection, (as opposed to trying to display two at the same
time), then projection of the OL map should change to the new baselayer
projection.