[OpenLayers-Users] Optimization of raster WMS layers

jdmorgan jdmorgan at unca.edu
Fri May 25 17:41:23 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have a OpenLayer site up and running with a couple of different
layers.This is great and I am pretty excited about the potential!Now I
am trying to add a WMS raster layer that is pretty data
intensive.Unfortunately, it is pretty darn slow to the point of
dragging.It is particularly noticeable with I zoom in or out of the map.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of
places where I might read-up on how to speed up the loading of these
raster WMS layers.Based on previous experience with (d)ArcGIS I had to
do a bit of work with creating cached tiles of my data.  Is that the
direction I need to be thinking of with OpenLayers/WMS stack?  Or, are
there some configuration setting that I might be missing.  Here is my
basic code structure for adding my WMS layer:

     var rasterLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
         'raster_current',
         'http://dev.nemac.org/~derek/fswms/html/ews',
         {layers: 'raster_current', transparent: true},
         {
             isBaseLayer: false,
             transitionEffect: 'resize'
         }