[OpenLayers-Users] Some basic information

Riaan Lombaard rlombaard at maxgeo.com
Mon May 28 06:05:34 PDT 2012

Hey,

I am quite new to OpenLayers and just need some advice in the following areas.

My main goal will be to use OpenLayers for GiS information.

`OpenLayers.Geometry.Point` will be used a lot.

Now using

"
var wms_layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
                          'OpenLayers WMS',
                          'http://vmap0.tiles.osgeo.org/wms/vmap0',
                          {layers: 'basic'},
                          {}
                      );
"
works fine.

The only issue I have with this is speed and of course there are not a lot of 'definition' on the maps.

If I do use Google Maps, it's fast plus you get all the added layers.

But adding Geometry point's although it looks correct seems to move when I move the map around? Zooming in on a point even worse.
Is this normal?

Ideally I would like to get a proper map and store it on my Local Server. Maybe add a satellite layer to it using raster?

So basically I need advice.
What maps will be the best to use?
Do you guys agree that storing map on local drive will be better?
Where can I get those maps?
Can I solve the Google Maps problem?

Thanks in advance.