[OpenLayers-Users] Future of OpenLayers or OL3

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Nov 20 16:38:18 PST 2012

On 11/20/2012 4:59 PM, Phil Scadden wrote:

>> In general I think there are two separate issues here:
>>
>> 1. is it safe to enable webgl in my browser, which is a personal choice
> As far as I can see, you have to dance through hoops to disable webGL in
> FF and Chrome and its on by default there. Nor can see whether you can
> enable on site basis.

This is exactly my point, webgl is a browser issue NOT an OpenLayers
issue. This is like saying we should not implement internet applications
because their are security concerns working on the internet. Oh, by the
way, if you do not like the way your favorite browsers work, then file
bugs and enhancement requests against those browsers so they are on
notice for their issues.

>> 2. totally separate is whether or not OpenLayers should keep up with
>> HW/SW standards
> Khronos issuing a specification and hoping people will implement it is a
> far cry from W3C and/or ISO issuing a standard. If it gets adopted by
> W3C then I would agree.
>
> I should say however, that I would dearly love to have the functionality
> as I have an application for it (looking at geological volumes). I'm not
> so sure about taking functionality over security.

Right, if OpenLayers can use the functionality to its advantage and I
think we all agree that it can and that we are not compromising
OpenLayers by eliminating other browsers where webgl is disabled, Then
why should we not use the technology that is generally available to make
our product stand out above the crowds of other similar apps.

When you talk about functionality over security, do you feel the same
way about the fact that OpenLayers has functionality that allows it to
retrieve information from across the internet? Maybe we should disable
that also? OK, I recognize that is an extreme, but any bug in a browser
can also be used to compromise your system. If you don't want to use
webgl for security concerns then don't, OpenLayers is not requiring you
to do so.

Anyway, I've probably said more than enough on this subject.

-Steve